Friday, August 8, 2014

Long Time Gone

Today marks the 1-year anniversary of when we left Chicago. That means tomorrow is the 1-year anniversary of our arrival in New Zealand, and while we do have a celebration planned, I think it's as important to remember what we left behind as it is to revel in all that we gained.


So for today, I present a list of the things we miss most about the home we left behind us:

1. The people
I feel like this one is the most obvious one. In the last year we've missed births, deaths, engagements, weddings and a Geist weekend. But that is nothing compared to all the more mundane things - happy hours after work, board game nights, hugs, kisses, laughter, lunches, brunches, dinners, and everything in between.

2. The food
Chicago is a foodie town. Auckland is not. I miss the Publican and Goose Island and Cheesie's and Big Star and Chipotle and Jimmy John's, but what I really miss is living among people who love food as much as I do. Most Aucklanders struggle with the question "what's your favorite restaurant."  Not because they can't narrow it down, but because they can't come up with even one. We've found some favorites, but they can't compare.

2a. Iced tea
Kiwis don't understand the concept of iced tea, so you can't get it anywhere. In theory Starbucks has it, but the baristas have no idea how to make it, and always ask if they should leave room for milk. Thanks but no thanks.

2b. Poutine

3. The availability of everything
New Zealand is a tiny country with a tiny population that is really far from everything. This means consumer goods are really, really expensive. Worse than that though - it often means things aren't available for any price.  I've been looking for grey tights for at least three months now, and they are nowhere to be found. While this helps minimise our consumerist spirits, it can also be extremely frustrating. Special mention to Amazon and Zappos.

4. Target

5. The housing
Our apartment is small (550 sq ft), has no heat/dryer/dishwasher, and gets so damp in the winter that condensation drips down the inside of the windows. When I tell Kiwis this, they don't understand that this statement is a complaint, because that's just how housing is here.  I miss Burnham Pointe!

6. My books
I brought about 20 books with me, and we've accumulated two shelves' worth since arriving, but I miss all the books we left in storage - and finally feel justified in owning as many as I do! Having a limited selection means I don't have a book to suit every mood, and I'm often left without anything to read for days while I wait for my next pick to come in through the library (books are way too expensive to buy, and my Kindle just isn't the same).  To me, going multiple days without a book to read leaves me feeling lost and friendless.

7. The people
This adventure is something that was always going to happen.  No matter what, I was always going to leave. But when I first made that promise to myself decades ago, I could not imagine what I'd be leaving behind.

We left behind a group of people that I always thought only existed on screen and in novels. Friends who accept you completely for who you are - not despite your oddities, but because of them. Friends who are more than family - friends who are home.  We miss you more than books and Amazon and Publican and iced tea and poutine and heating combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment