Sunday, August 3, 2014

Kiwi Ingenuity: Upholstery 101

One of my favourite things about Kiwis is their DIY spirit. Being so far away from the rest of the world means things are expensive, so people re-use and refurbish as much as they can.

I have wanted to try my hand at upholstery for years, and the opportunity to learn arose back in May.  I took a one-day course with Voodoo Molly, turning a couple pieces of wood, some webbing and some batting into a lovely upholstered footstool.

Upholstery workshop class
When we first moved here, I found a lovely little rocking chair that was in desperate need of some TLC, and after my class I finally felt ready to tackle it.  I used a $15 hammer instead of a $150 fancy air-powered staple gun, and I had to hand sew the entire back because I couldn't find any metal tack strips, but I think the effort was well worth it.

Quite the transformation!
In process - stripping off the old fabric and stuffing and replacing with new foam, padding, webbing and finally - fabric!


No comments:

Post a Comment