Saturday, June 6, 2015

Two Months in Melbourne

You may be surprised to see that this blog post isn't about our recent trip to Japan - but fear not, those posts are coming.  And there will likely be a lot of them (so be prepared).

This post is about a different type of trip.  Beginning Monday, I will be heading across the pond for a two month secondment in Melbourne!  Rob is going to stay behind in Auckland, but he will be visiting a few times, so we'll never be apart for longer than 2-3 weeks.  This will be the longest we've been apart in our 8 years together, but we have enough faith in our relationship to know that it can survive the separation.

Long time readers may recall that we spent a few days in Melbourne in June 2014, which was long enough to fall in love with the city. Since then I've said it's a city I could see myself living in, and I'm excited to test that theory out!  When I googled "things to do in Melbourne in winter," the first result was a list that included knitting, eating cheese, yoga and even curling!

Some of my favourite places from our previous trip to Melbourne - and a pretty good summary of why I'm so excited!  Not pictured: one of the best yarn companies I've ever come across, which is located about an hour outside of Melbourne.
Work is putting me up in a furnished apartment right in the middle of downtown, so I'll be surrounded by all the food, shops, food, bars and food that make this city so great. They're bringing me over because they have more work than they have people, so I'll be working pretty hard, but should still have ample time to explore all that Melbourne has to offer.

I'd like to take this opportunity to highly recommend Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, which is a TV show set in 1920s Melbourne about the most fabulous Phryne Fisher.  Miss Fisher is an independently wealthy woman who loves furs, silks, fast cars, beautiful men and solving murder mysteries.  She's kind of like a flapper version of James Bond, but with a much better wardrobe, and I love her. There's also a book series, but the show is so visually stunning that it's hard to compare.

Me reading a Miss Fisher book in front of Miss Fisher's house.
Seasons 1 and 2 of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries are available on Netflix - be sure to check them out today!  I'm sure they paint an accurate picture of what my life will be like in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment