Monday, April 21, 2014

Introducing Massimiliano!!

By now you have all probably heard about the newest addition to our household, but I cannot let this occasion pass without an official blog announcement.

So without further ado....We bought a Vespa!!!


Name: Massimiliano ("Massi") Powers
Make: 2006 LX150

I have wanted a Vespa longer than I have known Rob, and we have been working toward that goal for years. When we were trying to decide where we wanted to live after Chicago, one consideration was how scooter-friendly each location was. Once we arrived in Auckland, it became our main criteria for finding a neighborhood to live in.

Even before we left Chicago, we got motorcycle licenses in anticipation of purchasing a Vespa. Most places don't require a license for bikes with an engine smaller than 50ccs, but we knew we would want something big enough to carry both of us. It is also much easier to get a motorcycle license in Chicago than, well, just about anywhere - especially countries that have a publicly funded healthcare system. Our licenses won't be transferable until June 2015, but until then we can drive on our US licenses.

Massimiliano was the name of our Italian wedding planner. When I first emailed Massi, I told him I wanted to arrive at the wedding on a white Vespa, which he reserved months in advance - and he even requested photos from the dealer to ensure it was white. However, the week before our wedding was fashion week in Milan, and a model crashed my white Vespa! Instead of asking if another color would be okay (which it would have been because I am not crazy), Massi found a white Vespa a few towns away, and drove it 100km on the Italian motorway in the rain to get it to me before the wedding.

So far, being a Vespa owner has been everything I dreamed it would be. It's a little scary, but drivers here are very used to seeing them around, and respond accordingly. We always wear helmets and we never, ever drink and drive. We've driven in light sprinkles, but if the weather's too bad, we leave Massi at home.

Our current commute is Vespa-ing to the ferry and then taking the ferry to the city - not a bad way to start the day!  And I always take the long way home. Until this week I've been commuting alone (while Rob walks), but his helmet is finally here, so now we can start taking the long way home together.

Some pictures from our adventures thus far...

19 March 2014 - the day we bought Massi!  I saw the deal online and knew someone would snatch it up quickly, so Rob and I dashed over to the dealer during lunch. I didn't have my license with me, so Rob had to test drive Massi without me.

To the left: Our new commute - Vespa to ferry to city! To the right: our first tandem Vespa adventure.

The second best part about owning a Vespa (after riding it around all the time) is being able to buy all the Vespa merchandise I've wanted for years but couldn't buy without feeling like a poser.

No comments:

Post a Comment