Monday, February 3, 2014

Christmas Vacation Part IV - Middle Earth

I largely credit Lord of the Rings for putting New Zealand on my radar. Generally, Kiwis don't appreciate this type of fame, but the film and tourist industries have embraced it.  Which brings us to the fourth and final photo essay of our Christmas Vacation - the Lord of the Rings Nerdery part.

Visiting Rivendell, which is in between Martinborough and Wellington. The stone in the bottom center photo is the last piece of Rivendell still standing. Rumor has it Legolas took some promo shots where I'm standing on the right.
Rob is between Gandalf and Aragorn's height. I am almost exactly as tall as Gandalf (because I'm a wizard, obviously).
This bridge was not in any movies but it's in the same park as Rivendell and I like it. It reminds me of Indiana Jones.

At Weta Caves - Peter Jackson's prop workshop and mini-museum. We did a tour of the workshop, but no pictures were allowed.  It was pretty neat! They had lots of non-LOTR stuff as well - the studio has done props for moves such as Avatar, District 9, King Kong and the classic horror film Black Sheep.
Some cool stuff around the mini-museum. If you don't recognise it, no explanation can help.
Hanging out with the trolls in the Weta Caves garden.
After Weta Caves, we headed to Stansborough studio, who did all the weaving for the Lord of the Rings movies and many others in association with Weta Caves. They made their own yarn (aptly named Mithril) out of their blue-grey sheep for the movies, and were selling it in store! I bought enough to make myself a Mithril vest - just in case there are any orcs lurking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment